Friday, November 30, 2018

26A Celebrating Failure



A time this semester that I failed was in implementing my service schedule in my business. Every year I tell myself that I want to see my clients more often face to face. So, every 6 months or so I go through my client base and I organize a new more ambitious service schedule of how often I am going to see each client. I try to implement the schedule and find it is just too many meetings in too little time. I end up not being able to get all the work done that I need to do each week.  

I’ve come to the understanding that I like to bite off more than I can chew. I set goals that are challenging knowing that they will be hard to meet. Eventually I believe I will make the perfect running service schedule just maybe not this year. Emotionally and behaviorally it doesn’t bother me too much. After years of the same behavior I recognize that I provide more value to my clients through my increase in effort and my business does well because of it.  

This class has reinforced a lot of things that I have learned in business and one of the most important ones is that without risk or uncertainty, the reward is nowhere near as sweet. I was able to grow my current business after I sold my house and invested the cash and took out a loan to expand my practice. Small failures are important to reach a larger level of success and this class reinforces that.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Scott;
    Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I appreciated reading the insights you got from it. I agree with you that failures are crucial to attaining success. Like you, I also believe that this class played an enormous role in reinforcing this idea. For the future, I hope you keep learning from “failures” and collecting the rewards that come with it. Go Gators!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again Scott, it is important to recognize our failures even when we are ashamed of them and I am glad and really appreciated that you shared your failure with the class. It is important to set goals but it is also important to recognize when those goals are unreachable. However, I do recommend that you do set goals that seem out of range because you might just surprise yourself and meet that goal.

    ReplyDelete