Friday, November 9, 2018
21A Reading Reflection No 2
My book that I chose was How to Fail at almost everything and still win by Scott Adams.
The general theme or argument of the book is about the journey and grit to get to success. It involves ups and downs and many failures. It is not a secret or a special talent it is a behavior and a persistence to reach success.
The book enhanced what I am learning in ENT3003 because we have been told that failure is good and it is learning and is part of reaching the goal. It reinforced what we have been learning about in this class.
The difference between what we are learning and what we are doing in this class is that we aren’t meeting failure in our exercises. This book involves learning from failure. If I had to design an exercise it would be one that involved failure. We continue to move forward with our ideas, I would have a couple of exercises where the people in our group give the person obstacles or criticism based on their idea and their assignment is to find solutions for overcoming the obstacles.
The biggest surprise that I had reading the book was that Scott Adams was diagnosed as having a mental illness and kind of blew the diagnosis off as being silly. I often hear that many of the most successful people would be diagnosed as being ADD and other disorders that our school children are consistently medicated for in today’s age. It makes me think that these high energy personalities are valuable in business for motivation and persistency and maybe we are suppressing these personalities in our children, so they can sit still at a desk for 7 hours.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Scott, this book seems to go hand and hand in what we learn in this class. Great entrepreneurs take their failures and they lead to their success. That is a big reason we do peer reviews, so that peers can give feedback on how to make your service or product better. I found the last section of your reflection very interesting. Sometimes the most brilliant people do have ADD. Good job.
ReplyDelete