Friday, September 21, 2018

7A Testing the Hypothesis




The opportunity I chose to pursue was school safety.

The opportunity is for schools, specifically students and teachers and those that care about their safety to create a safer environment.

Currently it is easy to get weapons in to a school and attack innocent unarmed people until being confronted by someone capable of stopping the attack.

Everyone in the current system shares the need. There are people who propose different solutions to the problem and different obstacles but, all people involved in the school system typically agree with the increased need for safety. 

While most agree with the need there are several different causes that people attribute the problem to which effects what they propose as a solution to the problem.

 I consider the solution to include a mixture of solutions based on the input of what the problems are. Some are more implementable due to the scale of the solution and focusing on the people involved.

In my interviews peoples input included variations of all the views I listed below. Testing the who and the what were very uniform in response however the why was contributed to several different reasons.

One of the whys was based specifically around the current weapon that is being used. Some people propose taking guns out of the population while some propose arming more people to defend the property. 

Some people blame the changing culture of the world to video games, the entertainment industry and social media and away from personal communication, family values and religion. Those involved in this debate also tend to blame the increase in mental illness and social problems on the current culture. (These tended to be older contributors I believe because younger people don’t see the change in culture because they haven’t experienced anything other than the current technological environment they have grown up in.)  

Some people believe the government in too ineffective at implementing change and some believe that some politicians aren’t really interested in solving problems only in gaining momentum and funding for their benefit. (They don’t believe that government is effective at changing to meet the needs of society.)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Scott;

    Overall, I was able to understand the opportunity you have identified (the need for school safety shared in all school systems) and the reason why the need exists (as you stated, “it is easy to get weapons into a school and attack innocent unarmed people . . . “). Indeed, I agree with you that there is not only one specific solution to that problem since it depends on who is specifically involved. However, for your future assignments, I think you could capture more information from your interviews. That way, you can share more detailed information with us, so we can get a better sense of where you are coming from on your post. Go Gators!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott, I really liked your idea of reducing violence in schools. I think that it is a huge problem in the modern day and needs attention. Your post also touched on a really interesting point that with a big problems like this one, different solutions are present based on differing views. Great job interviewing a variety of people to find some many of those differing solutions and determine the who and what for each.

    ReplyDelete