Friday, September 7, 2018

Assignment 3A My entrepreneurship Story


Assignment 3A My entrepreneurship story

I enrolled in ENT 3003 because it is required for my degree. I was however excited to take the class because I met Professor Pryor at the business school introduction last year and he seemed very fun and I heard the class was great. 


What I hope to gain from the class isn’t specific. I have been running my own financial business for about 23 years now and while I feel like my creativity is limited due to regulations and my broker dealer protecting their brand, I learn something of value or reinforce something valuable each week from my classes at UF that I can use in my practice. It keeps me motivated to keep growing my business and providing more value to my clients.


An experience I had with an entrepreneur was with a couple of friends that my family used to go camping with. The couple identified a need for houses to have numbers that are visible at night for guests and emergency vehicles. They came up with the idea of a mailbox post that had illuminated numbers. They met with an engineer and designed a mailbox post with an illuminated number plate in the post that was powered by a solar panel in the cap. They made a prototype and began selling them to individuals and developments. They even had displays in some of the largest home improvement stores.



2 comments:

  1. Hey Scott,

    I am glad to see so many older students in this class and I am glad I have a couple in my group. I know I'll be able to learn from your blog based off of your experience. Your story about the number plate interests me because I have been working for a handful of landlords for the past four or so years and I know they would buy a product like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Scott,
    Like you I also took this class because it was required of my major. I feel fortunate to have an older classmate like yourself who has many years of experience as an entrepreneur. It will be interesting to see how you respond to this class being that you have already been out in fray as an entrepreneur. I hope to learn from your experiences and the stories you share later on in this class.

    ReplyDelete